Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Simple Pantograph Designs

One of the things we're involved in right now is making quilts for the bushfire survivors in Victoria. You can read about it on my other blog, and on Mereth's. And there is another blog here..Obviously these have to be quilted quickly, to get the quilts out of here and over to the people who need them. I've been using some of my really simple pantographs for these, with great success. The one below was made with scraps given to me last year by Terry Elverd, a fellow Statler owner in Western Australia. I felt rather guilty that I'd accepted them, as I have so much fabric already. It's so nice to be able to pass her generosity on to others who really need it.

When frame quilting systems for domestic machines were released I was asked to come up with a range of very simple, small designs that would work with the limited throat space. Some machines only have 3" of quilting space, so the designs had to be very uncluttered and easy to follow. I put together a pattern pack of 24 make-your-own pantograph sheets, and they were supplied with the Husqvarna frame system for a year or two. I have two of these simple design packs now, Pretty Simple, and Super Simple. My sister Meredith has one, Sweet & Simple, which is the one now included with the Husqvarna frame system.

They are easy to enlarge or reduce, which makes them very versatile, as you can't do that with a standard panto; on the mastercopies of each pattern are registration lines that allow you to align the sheets perfectly. Before I had a roll printer of my own I tested all my pantos by printing them out this way, so I could stitch them out and fine tune the design before sending it out to the printer.

I had a shortarm machine in the beginning, and I realised that these designs, enlarged from the original 3" to 5", were perfect for the larger system as well. And now I use them on my Statler, still at the 5 - 6" size, because they are ideal for those customer quilts where simple quilting is required.

They quilt up very quickly, which is such a bonus when dealing with large quilts, and leave the quilt wonderfully soft and drape-able. Many of our customers prefer this sort of quilting to the more elaborate designs. It can be priced very competitively too, because of the ease of stitching and speed, and that is a big factor for customers these days. And at $70 Australian, or approx $48US, it's 24 pantos for less than the price of 4.

They are great for sashing designs too, especially the ones which can be used as P2P designs with the Statler. There aren't specific corners to use in borders, but I have plans for accompanying blocks, so the corners will be included in that.Dandy, from Super Simple


Saxon, from Super Simple


Pattern Links

Aussie paper patterns
Pretty Simple
Super Simple
Sweet & Simple

USA paper patterns

Pretty Simple

Sweet & Simple

Super Simple

Digital patterns

Super Simple

Sweet & Simple

No comments: